Skip to main content

Front Cover Explanation & Gif Experimentation

Making different variation experimentations would improve the project as I feel I should try somethings different even though I will still be making a book for my final outcome. I decided I could animated key Alevi figures who are important to the community. Each person in the gif are either poets or singers. The top being Muhibe Akarsu who was an Alevi singer, the figure on the right being Metin Altiok who is a Turkish well-known poet who was also an Alevi and finally the figure at the bottom being Hasret Gultekin who was a promising Alevi musician. Theses people were all killed in a massacre in Sivas in 1993 where an Islamic mob killed over 30 Alevi singers/poets. I felt illustrating their faces just themselves shows the Alevi context in the gif.

That brings me on to the final major project front cover of the book I made.

For the final cover I decided I wanted to use those illustrations and demonstrate the same idea but this time in a better developed quality but also I changed up another thing, I removed one of the poets from the illustrations and replaced it with a Semah dancer but just the head of the person as the others only have heads too. This would add more things that would relate to Alevism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experimenting (Tape Modern)

Another experimentation I did was the 'Tape Modern' experimentation where I used cut coloured tape in shape that would link to my project and scan them in so that I could implement it into environments which relate to my project. For my designs I cut the tape to make a symbol which represents an important belief in Alevism and used photoshop to implement it into a 'Cem Evi' which is a place of worship/social place for Alevi's. I also made lettering which spells out 'Alevi' too which was in the final designs.

What is Alevism?

Alevism is a culture/belief which is a sect of Shia Islam. But Alevism is not just part of a religion, it is a culture which was been around for centuries and is one of the biggest parts of the culture in Turkey today.  Alevism includes many traditional acts like the art/dance of 'Semah', the cultural food 'Asure' and the music. Semah is a traditional dance generally performed at a 'Cem Evi' which is a house of gathering for the Alevi community. Semah is not performed silently, it is performed with live Alevi music which is called 'Deyis'. Deyis is the type of music which is poems sang with cultural instruments which were written by Alevi poets like Pir Sultan Abdal. The Deyis music is sang along with the Saz which is the fundamental instrument for the culture. In London every year a festival is organised by the Alevi federation which is funded by the Alevi community in London. In that festival music is played, the Semah dance is performed and cultur